Never stop learning!

I've been in my new job for almost a month and although I still feel like a deer in the headlights most days, I'm really enjoying the opportunities for learning new things.  

My first week in the new role was spent meeting new colleagues, reading, and getting set up on all systems.  Then it was all go as I travelled down to Wellington for my very first week long Sprint.  Before you ask, no it wasn't some kind of corporate relay!  A sprint is a set period of time during which specific work has to be completed and made ready for review.  In our case, our squad of 4 from different areas of the business sat in a meeting room and drew on our inspiration to tackle a problem and design a prototype solution.

This is the premise of Agile management which includes collaboration, self-organization, and cross functionality of teams with the aim of changing the way we work to meet the ever-changing demands of the global market.


Not that kind of sprint!
'to be happier, you have to think about feeling good, feeling bad, and feeling right, in an atmosphere of growth.' 
Gretchen Rubin

I've also enrolled on a human centred design course, a free offering by +Acumen in partnership with IDEO.org.  Human-centered design is a creative approach to problem solving.  'It’s a process that starts with the people you’re designing for and ends with new solutions that are tailor made to suit their needs. Human-centered design is all about building a deep empathy with the people you’re designing for.'  IDEO.org improve the lives of people in poor and vulnerable communities through design and have some great examples of delivering clean water on their website.  Since reading about some of the great solutions to everyday problems that have been created using empathetic human-centred design, I am more mindful of the 'user' in the work I do.


Human centred design provides great solutions to everyday problems


I'm also learning to use Tableau which is a Visual Analytics tool.  My colleague has nicknamed me technosaurus because I'm struggling after having used Excel for a lifetime!!  I will make him eat his words yet...



Technosaurus Sasha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday scones

I am not my hair

Top 3 Things to do in Rarotonga, Cook Islands