Daffodil Day

This Friday 25th August is Daffodil Day in New Zealand.  Started in 1990, this annual event raises funds towards research into the causes and treatment of cancer.

Cancer is a disease of the body's cells.  Normally, human cells grow and divide to form new cells as the body needs them. When cells grow old or become damaged, they die, and new cells take their place.

When cancer develops, control is lost.  This may be due to a genetic mutation or exposure to a carcinogen.  The cells start to multiply and these extra cells can divide without stopping and may form tumours.  Benign tumour cells are non-cancerous.  Malignant tumour cells are cancerous and may travel through the lymphatic system.


The Cancer Society of New Zealand was established in 1929.  The organisation provides information and support for cancer patients.  1 in 3 New Zealanders are affected by cancer.  Like many people I know, my life has been touched by cancer.  I'll be wearing my daffodil on Friday.  Who do you wear your daffodil for?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sunday scones

I am not my hair

Top 3 Things to do in Rarotonga, Cook Islands